WESTT Foundation Course in Steiner-Waldorf Education
WESTT is now running a one year part-time Foundation Course in Steiner-Waldorf Education. Held over 10 Saturdays, the Foundations course is aimed at those who are interested in developing and deepening their understanding of this unique way of working with the developing child, and the ideas that inform it.
Those who complete the course will have a grounding in the following areas:
- Origins and guiding principles of Waldorf education – education towards freedom
- The role and significance of Waldorf education in the modern world
- The Waldorf school
- Child observation and development
- Key aspects of the curriculum
- The importance of art in education, and of education as an art.
- The experience of drawing and painting
- Crafts and their significance in Waldorf education
- The role of music, rhythm, speech and movement in education
- Rudolf Steiner’s picture of the human being
- The importance of self-development
- Aspects of classroom management
- The senses and the temperaments
- Festivals throughout the year
Where possible, the course is immersive and experiential, so that understanding of the underlying principles is gained in an organic way. No prior experience is required; only a willingness to be challenged and enriched by this radically different way of viewing and educating the developing child.
Each course day includes a wide range of experiences, which may include music, anthroposophical study, child development, classroom and curriculum study, eurythmy, spatial dynamics, drawing and painting.
On the course we also encourage lively discussion of the wider educational environment in which we operate, and where the Steiner-Waldorf movement positions itself within this.
Those who complete the course receive a Foundation in Waldorf Education Certificate. 90 % attendance is required for this, as well as a the completion of an independent piece of written work.
There is also some required reading for the course, which informs our work together over the weekends. Participants should be prepared to do up to 2 hours of self-directed reading and study per week.
The course is held in the lovely setting of Wynstones School, situated between Stroud and Gloucester.
WESTT runs a two-year class teacher training on one weekend each month during the year. The Foundations course is held on the same weekends, meaning that participants are joining a vibrant learning community, and benefiting from the wide range of tutors who are involved in the teacher training course.
The day starts at 9am, and finishes at 6 pm.
If you are aiming to become a class teacher, you should apply to join our two-year teacher training course. The Foundations course will suit:
- Classroom assistants
- Learning support assistants
- School administrators and trustees
- School volunteers
- Parents who wish to deepen their understanding of their child’s education
How to apply
Applications for the current course are now closed. The next course will begin in September 2020, and you will be able to apply online from February 2020.
There is a non-refundable application fee of £30. As part of the application process, you will need to provide a character reference and say a little about your reasons for wishing to join the course. Please have both reference and written piece ready before applying online.
Movement plays a central role in Waldorf education, and aspects of the course may not be suitable for anyone who is unable to participate in light physical activities.
Course beginning in September 2019: £950 + VAT (£1,140 Incl VAT).
Course beginning in September 2020: To be confirmed